Presentation Tips + Checklist
Presenting can be a challenge for even the most seasoned public speaker. Through years of running our First Friday Editors’ Briefings events we’ve learned some valuable lessons about what makes a presentation really special. In this week’s blog we’re sharing our tried and tested tips as well as a checklist that you can use to help make sure you’re ready next time you need to make it count. In no particular order, here are some nuggets of wisdom we’ve collected over the years.
- If you feel nervous, people will feel it.They will respect your honesty if you mention it at the beginning of your presentation.
- Have as few words on the screen at any one time as possible
- Include a summary of key takeaway points at the end
- Try always to ask yourself why the audience should be interested in what you’re telling them
- Have fun with it
- Don’t be afraid to move around the room. Often the audience will have listened to other presentations during the same day and may be flagging. Dynamism is your friend (within reason!)
- Run through your presentation beforehand with someone you trust
- Make sure you’ve got everything you need using our handy checklist
- and… Smile!
Each item on our checklist has two tick-boxes; tick the box on the left if you need the item, and then tick the box on the right once you’re sure you’ve got it. All that’s left after that is to get out that and rock it. Enjoy!